CAN MOLD AFFECT MY HEALTH?
Most types of mold that you come across every day are not considered to be very hazardous to healthy individuals. However, exposure to high concentrations of any type of mold may cause or worsen conditions such as asthma, hay fever, or other allergies. Some of the most common symptoms of overexposure are cough, congestion, runny nose, eye irritation, skin irritation (rashes), and aggravation of asthma. Depending on the level of exposure and a person's individual vulnerability, more serious health effects such as fevers and breathing problems can occur, but are less frequent. Mold can also cause infection (e.g. Aspergillosis, Histoplasmosis) in individuals who have weakened or compromised immune systems. As well, some mold species can produce chemicals called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins may cause illness in people who are particularly sensitive to them or in people who are exposed to it in high airborne concentrations.
HOW CAN YOU BE EXPOSED TO MOLD? In the next Moldy Blog.